Abortion and Coronavirus (COVID-19)
During this COVID-19 lockdown, can I still have an abortion?
- Yes, abortion services remain open and are defined as an essential service. You should not have difficulties accessing these services.
- You can self-refer by contacting a local abortion care provider directly.
- Information about your local abortion care providers and national abortion care providers can be found on https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/abortion/ or you can contact British Pregnancy Advisory Service (BPAS), Marie Stopes UK and the National Unplanned Pregnancy Advisory Service (NUPAS).
I can’t travel to the abortion clinic, what can I do?
- If you live in England and your pregnancy is under 10 weeks gestation, you may be able to have a medical abortion at home without the need to first attend a hospital or clinic.
So how do I access to early medical abortion in my own home?
- After you’ve made contact with an abortion provider, you will have a consultation with a clinician on the phone or via a video link. Following the consultation, if you are eligible, and you wish to proceed, the medication will be delivered to your home with clear instructions on how to manage the process.
I am more than ten weeks pregnant. What should I do?
- Contact your abortion provider who will discuss the options with you.
Is it safe for me to take both abortion pills at home?
- Yes, it is safe for both abortion pills to be taken at home for early medical abortion.
What should I do if I feel unwell following taking the pills or experience complications?
- Abortion is a safe procedure for which major complications are rare.
- You should have access to a 24-hour telephone helpline number with the relevant clinic if you have any concerns.
- A clinician will discuss possible complications with you in the consultation, and you will be provided with information about possible symptoms, including those which need urgent attention.
Do I need contraception after my abortion?
- You can get pregnant almost immediately after an abortion. Most methods of contraception can be started on the same day of your abortion and will protect you straight away.
How do I obtain contraception after my abortion?
- Your abortion provider can arrange to have your method of contraception ready after your abortion.