Sexual assault services

This page explains where you can go for help and advice if you've been sexually assaulted.

Sexual assault is any kind of sexual activity that you don't agree to. It can include:

  • inappropriate touching
  • vaginal, oral or anal penetration that you have not agreed to
  • rape.

Sexual assault can happen to people of any age and gender.

The assaulter may be the same gender or a different gender from you, a stranger or someone you know.

A sexual assault can take place anywhere, including in your home or workplace.

Being sexually assaulted can be a very distressing and frightening experience. This can make it hard to get the help you need, but there are services that can help.

You don't have to tell anyone about the assault if you don’t want to, but you should seek medical advice as soon as possible as you may be at risk of a sexually transmitted infection or pregnancy.

The services listed below can provide medical care, will take you seriously and will help you get any other support you need (including emotional support).

These services are free – you can go there without a referral from another service and they won't tell the police if you don't want them to.

  • A sexual assault referral centre – a 24-hour one-stop specialist service where you can receive medical care and counselling.
  • A GUM clinic.
  • A hospital accident and emergency department.
  • Your general practice.
  • A contraception or young people’s service.

For help finding out where your nearest service is see How to get help with your sexual health.

If you decide to tell the police, you'll be seen by a specially trained police officer and a specially trained doctor.

The following organisations can also give you details of services you might need and may be able to provide some counselling and support.

If the assault took place a long time ago they can still help you:

Information last updated: September 2018
Next planned review by:

This website can only give you general information.